Tuesday, March 27, 2018

On 03/27/2018 the Murder Indictment was Released to the Public


Some good info from KMBC 9 regarding latest developments. I found the Statement quoted in the Star-Telegram. This appears to be an official response from defendant Schlitterbahn and is posted on its website. There is also, now, a Q&A from the perspective of a potential consumer. The Q&A may be a response to an op-ed whose headline I saw but I haven't read. I'm not sure if the company has engaged representation for this matter. The last live-blog post from the Houston Chronicle that I saw was unclear. I've personally reached out to the spokesperson on Twitter. I am monitoring that channel. 

The first statement can be found on Schlitterbahn's website. It references the civil case. It is contradicted by the indictments in several places. It includes a statement from the attorneys for Tyler Miles. It refers to Mr. Miles in a familiar manner. The statement from Mr. Miles' attorneys that is attached to the end of defendant Schlitterbahn's statement points out some of the specific legal paths they intend to take in the court case. They have asked for a trial by jury (last paragraph). They are going to offer defenses against the allegations that Mr. Tyler "'avoided or delayed repairs,' [and]... 'had covered up similar incidents'." (first paragraph). They plan to attempt to have a great deal of the indictment thrown out as "evidence that is not legal" (third paragraph). I am no professional. They probably made other legal arguments in there. I can only pick out what I can pick out thanks to my personal work experiences. Unfortunately with my limited skill I can discern no strategy that defendant Schlitterbahn intends to take against the charges leveled against it. The reference to the "shocked Kansas legal community" is particularly ham-handed as the only evidence proffered is the statement of the other defendant's attorneys.



If what I suggested above is the truth than that would not be the actions of an office that understood the seriousness of criminal charges being levied at a company. But I don't really know that.

What I do know is that I will not willingly give money to a business that has been convicted of  criminal felonies involving the loss of human life. What I do know is that Schlitterbahn Waterpark of Kansas City, Kansas is charged with twenty felonies including felony manslaughter. What I do know is that Henry & Sons Construction Company Inc. is charged with eighteen felonies including Second Degree Murder. What I do know is that both indictments contain the exact same explanation as of defendant Schlitterbahn's corporate structure: "Schlitterbahn consists of more than a dozen privately-held corporations owned and operated by the three Henry siblings. Although each corporation is technically a separate entity, the lines between those corporations are blurred. It is normal for an employee of one corporation to report to an employee at another corporation as if they were both members of the same company."


No comments:

Post a Comment